Lunar and EduNow triumph in Surrey Young Enterprise Company Final
Lunar managed by students from Royal Grammar School, Guildford last night won the Surrey Student Company of the Year competition organised by Young Enterprise at an exciting final showdown held at Epsom College. EduNow which is also run from RGS Guildford was the runner-up in the competition.
They both go through to the South East regional final to be held at Guildford Cathedral in June with the chance for one of them to progress through to the national final in July.
The winner of the Company Programme national final will represent the UK just 10 days later in the European final to be held this year in Belgrade, Serbia.
All the student companies taking part in Company Programme established their businesses at the beginning of the academic year. They raised initial funding for their operations through the issue of shares, designed and developed their main products and sold them at school, at trade fairs in Surrey, and online through their company websites or the new online Young Enterprise Market Place.
Lunar has written, designed and published a book for primary school age children aimed at explaining and combatting bullying. They plan a new publication shortly. EduNow has written and developed an online revision platform aimed at students taking their GCSEs
They gave outstanding company presentations last night to an audience made up of other schools taking part in the Surrey finals, local business leaders and invited guests. They includedChris Grayling, the Member of Parliament for Epsom & Ewell and Secretary of State for Transport who presented the awards, andCouncillor Liz Frost, the Mayor of Epsom & Ewell. The final was compered by Bracey Parish, Regional Manager, ofYoung Enterprise in the South East.
The head of judges, Antonio Falco, Chairman of The Sales Director, said: “Both winning companies have been very successful and well run by their student directors. They had well-thought out business plans,great product offerings and have shown amazing entrepreneurial talent.The total sales of the six finalists so far this year came to over £20,000 and profits to over £6,000.Just brilliant when they have so much else going on in and out of school during the year.”
The Best Annual Report was produced by Lunarand the Best Trade Stand award went to Donatus of Reigate Grammar School. The Best Corporate Presentation was given by Illuminate of Sir William Perkins’s School, Chertsey.Deer Darling of Notre Dame School, Cobham won a separate Best Digital Advert competition.
Six teams made it through to the Surrey final out of 46 student companies formed by schools throughout Surrey. The finalists last night were from:-
Notre Dame School, Cobham
Royal Grammar School, Guildford (two companies)
Reigate Grammar School
Sir William Perkins’s, Chertsey
The student teams had to learn how to run a company and work as a Board to grow their operations and make them a commercial success. The Young Enterprise Company Programme gives students greater self-awareness, first-hand experience of work and helps them develop employability skills they would not normally gain through their academic studies.
For further information contact:
Lynne Skinner – Area Manager, Young Enterprise, Surrey
Tel: 07834 609336
John Rudofsky, Business Adviser
Tel: 07876 216400
About Young Enterprise
• Young Enterprise is the UK’s leading enterprise and financial education charity that empowers young people to harness their personal and business skills
• Every year we work directly with over 250,000 young people, and support 9,000 teachers in both enterprise and financial education, with the help of more than 7,000 volunteers and 3,500 businesses
• We believe that the potential of the UK’s young people is unlimited, and an academic education on its own is not enough. Our mission is to empower young people to discover, develop and celebrate their skills and potential
• Through our hands-on employability and financial education programmes and resources and teacher training, we want to eradicate youth unemployment, help young people realise their potential beyond education and empower a generation to learn, to work and to live
• Founded in 1962, we are part of global network JA-YE operating in 120 countries
• For more information on Young Enterprise please see www.young-enterprise.org.uk or email email@example.com.